The Accademia, one of the most celebrated museums of pre-nineteenth century art in Italy, was opened relatively late, in 1817, and was therefore not on the route of the eighteenth-century grand tourists. However, it quickly became one of Venice’s most important visitor attractions, though some travellers, such as Helen Frick were a little disappointed with what they found there. Henry James, on the other hand, while being unable to express much enthusiasm for Titian’s Assumption, thought that on the whole the pictures were much better hung and lit there than in the Venetian churches from which most of the altarpieces came. Until 2004 the gallery shared space with di Belle Arti di Venezia, founded on 24 September 1750 under the directorship Giovanni Battista Piazzetta. The gallery occupies the original site of the original Scuola della Carità, for which Titian painted the enchanting Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple, which still hangs in situ. In 1807, the academy was re-founded by Napoleonic decree and, following the end of the Napoleonic Wars, there was a substantial influx of paintings from Venetian churches, scuole, palaces and private collections. These included such masterpieces as Titian’s Assumption of the Virgin (later returned to the Frari Church), Bellini’s San Giobbe Altarpiece, Veronese’s Feast in the House of Levi, and Giorgione’s Tempesta and Col Tempo.